Monday, July 29, 2013

5.6 Fiction 5.6B Roles of Characters

(6) Reading/Comprehension of Literary Text/Fiction. Students understand, make inferences and draw conclusions about the structure and elements of fiction and provide evidence from text to support their understanding. Students are expected to:

(B) explain the roles and functions of characters in various plots, including their relationships and conflicts; and
 
I can explain the roles of characters in the plot. I can explain the relationship between 2 or more characters.  
I teach my students there are several types of characters, but we focus on
  • Major or central characters are vital to the development and resolution of the conflict. In other words, the plot and resolution of conflict revolves around these characters.
  • Minor characters serve to complement the major characters and help move the plot events forward.

  • To me this is the easiest thing to teach. Students can recognize who the characters are and what they are doing in the story. I find it much harder to teach rising action of a story. :) I do like to take the time to talk about character traits. character traits  from Think* Read* Write  www.thinkreadwrite.org


    I think the key to this TEK is to have students realize that the reactions characters can be similar to the reactions they would have. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment